Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Smithsonian Christmas-Season Exhibit Features Ant-Covered Jesus, Naked Brothers Kissing, Genitalia, and Ellen DeGeneres Grabbing Her Breasts | CNSnews.com

The Smithsonian Building in Washington D.C., U...Image via Wikipedia
Click on the title to read the article about the Smithsonian's new Christmas season exhibit.  I am all for freedom of speech, art and expression and I spent 28 years in the service defending such rights. But I have to wonder how this level of art made it to the Smithsonian as the technical aspects of some of the exhibits seen in this article don't seem to be museum quality. I have seen better stuff at high school exhibits. It makes me wonder whether the Smithsonian was more interested in the artists' motivations rather than masterful technique. Evidently a few of the commenters, some of whom have actually been to the exhibit, thought so as well. It's a good thing this article provided an explanation of some of the exhibits as some of them were completely lost on me. For example, I never would have figured out on my own that the video with the ant covered Jesus was supposed to be a metaphor for the AIDS epidemic.  I have to wonder if the underlying motive was to simply offend, rather than portray true emotion.  I just saw an update that the Smithsonian has removed the ant covered Jesus from the exhibit.  Wow! Never thought I would see the day!    
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: