Wednesday, June 2, 2010

GETZ: Seeing a fallen soldier home - Washington Times

GETZ: Seeing a fallen soldier home - Washington Times Yes I know Memorial Day is over but I just had to write about this because it brings tears to my eyes everytime I think about it. Colleen Getz recounts her experience giving up her seat on a flight to a family of a fallen soldier enroute home for his funeral.  Her gesture, and those of the others who gave up their seats so the family of six could get home, remind us that we need to always remember we are fighting a war and that we have troops in harms way. We need to remember and support their families. We need to love and care for them in any and every way we possibly can. Above all, we need to thank them because that's what they want and need most of all.

I witnessed a similar gesture on my flight home Monday, Memorial Day. Just before take off, the flight attendant announced that someone in first class had given his seat to a young troop in thanks for his service to our country. Everyone cheered and applauded.  I wondered if the gentleman who gave up his seat had read Ms Getz's article and taken her words to heart, that "gratitude should be foremost in American hearts and minds" towards those who have gone before us and to those who are still here fighting for us.  I was humbled by the fact that because I was so focused on getting home, I hadn't even noticed the young troop in the crowd as we were boarding the aircraft .  The gentleman in question probably didn't think anything of it but I want him to know that I will remember his gesture forever.  I thank him for taking the time to look out for one young troop, and for reminding me that we can--and should--make a big difference in the lives of our troops and their families, in a thousand different ways both large and small. 

No comments: